Israel to ban rebuilding of Israeli settlements in Gaza following concerns from Biden admin

Date:

Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus get unlimited access to thousands of articles, videos and more with your free account!

Please enter a valid email address.

By entering your email, you are agreeing to Fox News Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive. To access the content, check your email and follow the instructions provided.

The Israeli military will not allow Israeli citizens to rebuild settlements in Gaza after the war against Hamas, Israeli Defense Secretary Yoav Gallant confirmed Monday.

Gallant confirmed this in a meeting with members of President Biden’s administration last week, according to a report from Axios. Israeli settlements in Gaza were originally dismantled in 2005 when Israel withdrew from the region, but hardline members of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government have recently called for the settlements to be rebuilt.

Gallant met with U.S. Ambassador to Israel Jack Lew and assured him that the settlements would not return. He also said the 1-kilometer buffer zone Israel plans to establish in Gaza will also not be used for settlements. Gallant says the buffer zone is only for security purposes and will be temporary, according to Axios.

The assurances come days after several prominent Israeli officials attended a conference in Jerusalem calling for the return of settlements in Gaza. Three ministers who attended were from Netanyahu’s Likud Party.

AUSTRIA SUSPENDS PAYMENTS TO UNRWA AMID ISRAELI ALLEGATIONS UN WORKERS HELPED, CELEBRATED HAMAS

Israel on Monday also provided the Biden administration with a new dossier with information about how staffers for a United Nations agency assisted or supported the Hamas terror attacks on Oct. 7.

UN CALLS ON COUNTRIES TO RESUME UNRWA FUNDING DESPITE REPORT EMPLOYEES PARTICIPATED IN OCT 7 MASSACRE

The dossier alleges that 12 employees who worked with the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) aided the attack in various capacities.

According to the dossier, seven U.N. staffers crossed into Israel on Oct. 7 while others were accused of “participating in a terror activity” or coordinating vehicle movements.

Netanyahu

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the individuals who were alleged to have been involved in the attack are no longer employed. 

TRUMP ADMIN CUT FUNDING TO UN AGENCY NOW ACCUSED OF PARTICIPATING IN HAMAS ATTACK ‘FOR REASON’: REP. MCCAUL

“Of the 12 people implicated, nine were immediately identified and terminated by the commissioner-general of UNRWA, Philippe Lazzarini; one is confirmed dead, and the identity of the two others is being clarified,” said Guterres.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, UNRWA, UN

He also said on Sunday that any U.N. employee who is found to have been involved in terror acts “will be held accountable, including through criminal prosecution.”

Fox News’ Lawrence Richard contributed to this report.

Read the full article here

spot_img

Share post:

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

Popular

More like this
Related

Could sun exposure have a positive effect on female fertility?

Results from a recent study suggest that moderate...

School bus driver dead, 2 students injured in Tennessee highway collision

A Tennessee school bus driver died in a...

Air Force Academy battles wildfire at West Monument Creek

Firefighters are working to contain a large wildfire that...